Canterbury Running takes you to more places
A backdrop of changing golden leaves from Autumn and into winter provides a cue for athletic Cantabrians to keep fit and intensify their open-air running with like-minded people. It is time to expand beyond the typical 5 kilometre and marathon run and to get outside. Many are renewing the popularity of trail or cross country by running on challenging terrain and mixing it with a bit of tarmac to make winter running fun. As local Athletic Canterbury runners, we know the road and trail routes well and can help you see your local area with new eyes. You will love the places Canterbury Running takes you.
The local running community includes men, women, families and children ranging in age from under 7 to over 70. Runs vary in length with children’s races 1 to 3 km, and women’s and men’s races from 5 to 12 km. Some races are for individuals, while others are highly social with teams of three to eight mates running as a relay team. These kind of club events guarantee a few laughs along the way – there is no substitute for knowing you're all in it together. One of our most special events every year is the Takahē to Akaroa relay, located on the doorstep of Christchurch in the iconic Port Hills. This unmatched race hasn’t missed a beat since it started in 1930’s, and like many of our mixed distance races it offers a great experience not only for the runners, but the partners, spectators, and extended family all enjoy getting out into the unique and beautiful Canterbury environment.
Testing techniques in a variety of locations
Yes, you can run
We want you to be successful. and work with you to improve your running journey, so joining a club has many benefits:
• Finding a run near you - With eight running clubs in the Canterbury region, there are plenty of run options and you will always find a fellow member to go out with to exercise
• Location is everything - Gain access to exclusive events and many unique runs that are only offered by Canterbury Running
• Run with a team, not on your own - Join in our regular structured team training sessions offered throughout the season with one of our friendly coaches
• Running will become part of your weekly routine - Feel more inspired to get out there and train.
• Get in shape with advice and guidance. It will help with setting yourself targets and getting you to your personal goals
• Less on entry, and less stress- Ease of entering races with your own personal entry identification system. Full members gain race discounts and access to any exclusive benefits
• Running with a group takes you further, faster - Meet a whole group of running buddies who get excited when comparing stats, times and the latest gadgets.
• Recommendations and technical sports advice from being part of the wider professional network Athletics Canterbury and Athletics NZ network
Why we love running..
Check out what some of our Canterbury Running community has had to say about club running:
“I have found a new passion to do better, push further”
“I frees me from the worry and stress of any of the other bits in my life”
“Faster times with fewer injuries and more enjoyment ”
“It’s the camaraderie that propels you along and helps you achieve more”
“I love how over time, I have become healthy and strong ”
“The changing terrain provides me with new challenges”
• Standard Club member: for those runners who like to pick and choose what race to run. Standard club members can participate in all club activities including coaching, training and social training sessions. To participate in a competitive run it is only an extra $10 per race.
• Full (Inter-club) member: suits a more competitive runner that participates in most events and wants to run better and faster and not miss out on the chance to win a Canterbury Championship title.
• Children’s: Details on children and youth (under 20) membership are on the club websites.
Training times: Checkout the club training options to find a local club run
Hagley Memorial Relay
Tai Tapu Run Festival
Nga Puna Wai Relay
Shoe Clinic 5k Series Race 5
Shoe Clinic 5k Series Race 4
Shoe Clinic 5k Series Race 3
Shoe Clinic 5k Series Race 2
Shoe Clinic 5k Series Race 1
Congratulations to our Shoe Clinic "Athletes of the Week"
15 and under - Elspeth McGuiness (Port Hills)
16 and over - Olivia Ritchie (University of Canterbury)
After HAGLEY MEMORIAL RELAY
1st Christrchurch Avon 20pts
2nd University 18pts
3rd Port Hills 16pts
FULL SET OF RESULTS